Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hanoi towers using OpenHaptics, OpenGL, Bullet and Assimp

At the moment I do my professional training, and I'm developing an application with haptics. I created a scene with Hanoi Towers, to demonstrate what I achieved. Currently, it runs OK, but I have problems like:
1. Low performance when objects collide (about 7-9 FPS). I use btGImpactMeshShape for all the objects in my scene, except walls.
2. I can't use Scheduler in OpenHaptics, well in fact I can, but program crashes when I try to shut down it properly. I use HL and HD at the same time. OpenHaptics documentation is very poor (v.3) at this subject and not only , so there are many problems also that cause me a headache.
3. I have also problems with collision detection in Bullet, since there are cases (and often), when I can push the objects in my scene through others. My world is a closed box, so even if theoretically must not allow objects to pass the walls, I can force them (by pushing with the arm, or turning simulation off, applying a force and then turning simulation on again) to pass the walls of the box, so they might fall into abyss :D.

Well, since I'm a beginner in all this, I'm satisfied to know that I managed to do at least this. Future work will be on soft objects. I would like to thank http://somapanam.wordpress.com/ (Since the name of the author is not displayed on the blog, I would not publish it) for the code that it made public, and that I used as a reference to understand how OpenHaptics and Bullet can work together.
And here's my demo video:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment strictly on the post and its contents. All comments that do not follow this guideline or use this blog as advertising platform, which made me enable moderation, will not be accepted.